Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Mold in the Home

Mold can be a major annoyance and may even cause health problems. Unfortunately, it’s very common to find it in the home. If the grout between your shower tiles are dark, your wallpaper is peeling, dark spots cover your walls, or you see yourself continuously coughing or sneezing you might have mold in your home.

Mildew vs Mold

Mildew is the most common type of mold found in the home. It is often located in warm and humid areas, such as the bathroom and laundry room. The difference between mildew and different types of mold is that mildew is only located on the surface of materials whereas other types of mold are in the pores of the materials, making other types of mold much more dangerous. Mildew is less likely to cause permanent damage to household objects because it’s only a surface mold while other types of mold can cause damage to wood and other materials in the home.

How to get rid of mold

Be sure to check if the mold is mildew before handling it yourself. Other types of mold are much more dangerous and can have a negative impact on your health. If the mold covers 10 or more square feet, you may have to call a professional. Mildew can often be dealt with by scrubbing mildew cleaner on it. Some cleaners that you could use for mildew are bleach or a vinegar mildew killing solution. When using bleach, be sure not to mix chemicals. Wear gloves and something to cover your mouth to protect yourself from exposure to the mold.

How to prevent getting mold

The best way to handle mold is to ensure that you do not get it in the first place. Some tips to reduce the likeliness of mold forming in your home is to turn the fan on in the bathroom for 15 minutes after you shower, have proper ventilation in your home, and monitor humidity indoors. Try to reduce humidity in your home to the best of your ability because mold is most likely to reside in humid areas.  

Mold can be a pain and can even cause health problems, especially for those who are allergic. When you spot signs of mold be sure you act quickly to minimize the time you and your family will be exposed to it. Be cautious and only get rid of mold yourself if it is mildew and covers a small area. If you live in the Cedar City area and have any questions, please contact Real Property Management Cedar City at (435) 586-1777.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.